Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Saturday's Warriors is a Heap of False Doctrine

We played more laser tag last Monday as a going away event for an elder that leaves tomorrow. There were a lot of kids there and they were awful human beings. They are sneaky and mean and have exceptionally perfect aim. I never want kids now. Thanks birthday party full of 9 year olds for dashing my dreams, ruining my plans, and stripping me of my desire to fulfill my divine potential. Beasts anyway.

Speaking of beasts, Sister Rasheed and I received Nerf guns in the mail this week from Michael and I'm a little ashamed to say that they changed me from a respectable almost 24 year old into a savage straight out of Pocahontas. I left a welt on Sister Moreton's hand. It was kind of hilarious. Sister Casey and I also attacked our zone leader and his companion when they came by our apartment to leave medicine for Sister Rasheed (she was pretty sick this week). I walk around with my gun between my skirt and my shirt on my back like I'm a shady drug dealer because things have gotten heated and I'm always a little afraid someone will steal my weapon and attack me with it. And I slept with it under my pillow more than one night so I could attack Sister Moreton at 10:29 pm and at 6:15 am when we wake up. Sister Rasheed is crazy too. She will yell, "KILL!" or just shriek and then attack. We have had more than our fair share of battles this week.

Sister Rasheed and I practiced our best gun poses as to intimidate our enemies.
 




The welt I left on Sister Moreton's hand during a surprise attack.

Sister Moreton was feeling under the weather as well this week, so Sister Casey and I spent a lot of time together while our companions stayed at home. It was a great opportunity to get to know her better and to work with her more closely. I had scheduled time to help a sister who broke her pelvis pick and juice her citrus this week. When we arrived she didn't answer her door, so I just went around to the gate and went in back and started working on the trees. It was nice. It gave Sister Casey and me a few hours to talk. This is her first transfer so she had a lot of pent up frustration and confusion that we talked through and we just talked about our pre-mission lives to get to know each other better. After a few hours the lady called to apologize because she had been sleeping and she wanted to re-schedule and I told her I was in her backyard. She came out and thanked us for just going to work and was amazed at how strong we are (we hefted a garbage bin full of bad citrus and dumped it into her bin that the garbage man empties...we are pretty BA). Sister Casey accompanied me on our lessons that evening too. We taught the grandma and granddaughter and we did a special missionary prep lesson with the priests for mutual. I then went with her to her ward's correlation and we came home and spent our last free half an hour before bed juicing citrus together. 
When our companions were sick we ordered a pizza to eat before 
our citrus picking adventure...we had to spend $20 to use our coupon, 
so we bought the biggest pizza they had and then ate it all week.

Let me just clear up some false doctrine that has been getting on my nerves. We didn't pick our parents before this life and we didn't pick our children. Saturday's Warriors is a heap of false doctrine and too many people believe it. The sisters I live with asked for my help finding a scripture to prepare a lesson for their investigator about how we picked our children and I very quickly set them straight. Here is a quote about that from Joseph Fielding Smith, “We have no scriptural justification, however, for the belief that we had the privilege of choosing our parents and our life companions in the spirit world. This belief has been advocated by some, and it is possible that in some instances it is true, but it would require too great a stretch of the imagination to believe it to be so in all, or even in the majority of cases. Most likely we came where those in authority decided to send us. Our agency may not have been exercised to the extent of making choice of parents and posterity”. To add my own witness, if we picked our families, Tina Fey would be my sister.  Disproved. Please stop the spreading of this fairy tale doctrine. Thanks.

I was asked to write the missionary thought for the RS newsletter this month in Aspen and this is what I penned:  "One of the greatest pitfalls of the natural man is the tendency to look for an easy solution. Get rich fast. Lose ten pounds in one weekend with this berry derived active ingredient that has an unnecessarily long name. Hair extensions. As seen on TV products promise to give us the results we desire with a fraction of the work, but they rarely mention that you will get a result that is a fraction of the quality as well. Missionary work is not exempt from this mentality. Effective missionary work is much like successful weight loss (we've all been there, ladies), a lifestyle change will have far more reaching and lasting consequences than a crash diet or hair brained health scheme. There isn't an easy solution to missionary work, only a permanent paradigm shift will lead to continued success in your missionary efforts. Luckily, it is easier than dieting (you don't have to give up cheesecake or eat broccoli to be a good missionary)!  Can I get an Amen!

One tip that Clayton M. Christensen offers in The Power of Everyday Missionaries is to use Mormon lingo in every conversation. We can present the same information in many ways; some sentences are better set up to facilitate a relaxed missionary opportunity. Did you spend a year and a half in Mexico in your 20's, or did you serve a full time mission for the Mormon Church? Is your daughter at college, or is she studying full time at Brigham Young University? Are you tired because you had a garage sale this weekend, or because the young women in your ward had a fundraising yard sale for girl's camp on your lawn? Brother Christensen suggests that we speak with our terminology because one word can lead to more opportunities and questions. In this way we aren't begging people to learn about Jesus Christ, we're just inviting them to ask about our lives. This will open more doors and lead to many more miracles over the long run than any "quick" solution to bring people into the fold ever will. The promise to all who share the gospel (in whatever small or large way) listed in D&C 84:85 is true, "...it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man." I've seen that to be true both as a full time missionary and as a member missionary and testify that the Lord will fill our mouths if we show our faith by opening them."

We have transfers this Wednesday. I am staying here and Sister Rasheed is being transferred. My new companion will be Sister Merrell. Fun fact, she came out with Sister Dawson and Sister Rasheed. I also day trained a sister that came out with them that had to go home for medical reasons. I will have been a companion with 4 of the 5 sisters that came out in that transfer in some way, shape, or form. I am excited to work in a different way and to be able to conquer this area! I prayed that I would get a companion that has been out awhile and that would need less direction. I have loved training in the past and loved being with Sister Rasheed, but I'm kind of ready to just work and not worry about shaping someone else for at least 6 weeks. 

Love,

Sister Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment